Wednesday, February 18, 2009

My long weekend

I was so happy when 5:30 PM rolled around this past Friday because it meant the start of a long weekend. This weekend was going to be for me! Since I'm a singleton with no one to celebrate Valentine's Day with, I figured I would treat myself this weekend.

After work I went to Knit Happens (my all time FAVORITE LYS) to pick up a button for my dueling hat. While I was there I also found a set of handles for the bag I'm making for my HSKS7 spoilee. After that was done I took myself out to dinner at Bertucci's (oh the bread!). I then went home and watched some TV while finishing my dueling hat. I finished the hat around midnight or so. Go me! Finished another hat in less than a day!

Saturday I woke up bright and early to tack down the flap of the hat and add the button. After getting some shots of the FO, I left for the Post Office to ship it off to Thalia Tinkwych in England. Here's hoping mine gets to HER before hers gets to ME! That errand completed, I went in search of a new bed. Now, I was SUPER excited about getting this bed. It was the EXACT style I was looking for and wasn't TOO expensive. I found it at Crate & Barrel and it is scheduled to be delivered to my house on Friday, Feb. 27! So excited!

Sunday was my movie day. I saw Confessions of a Shopaholic and He's Just Not that Into You. The first was predictable and funny, but not much to write home about. The second however, was better than I expected. I really only have ONE issue with it. If you know anything about the book, you know that it was written to help women with this idea that men play games. For example, he's not calling because he lost your number, it's because he's just not that into you! It's not mean, per se, it's saying that you are fabulous, and you shouldn't be wasting your time on a guy who doesn't see that. A guy that IS interested in you will stop at nothing to call or see you. Well, this movie did a really great job of portraying this -- until the end.

One of the guys, played by Justin Long, says that most girls AREN'T the exception, that in fact most of us are the rule. However, (SPOILER ALERT!) in the end he tells the girl he ends up with, played by Ginnfer Goodwin, that she IS the exception -- for him! I mean come on! I get that it's a rom-com and people want a happy ending, but that defeats the whole purpose of the book. I mean, are we really supposed to continue to constantly hope that WE'RE the exception for that ONE guy?! Or are we supposed to be empowered and independent women who know that you shouldn't have to CHANGE a guy (or yourself for that matter!) for them to be interested in you. Well, I guess this where the argument where it IS only a movie and movies are supposed to be a place where you can escape reality. What do you think?

To finish off the weekend, I worked on my final package for SP13, did some laundry and tried to fix my DVD player. I think the DVD player is a lost cause and I'm going to have to replace it. So sad!

How was your weekend?

2 comments:

Wendy said...

You left out the part where your insane roommate had her family visiting for the weekend and her 2 yr old nephew was up before the sun each morning. :)

Pandora said...

I read "He's just not that in to you" when I was newly married. All of my friends were reading it so I twas curious and read it. Some of it I wished I had realized years ago, but other things I didn't agree with. Sounds like you had a great weekend!