Tuesday, February 03, 2009

It was only a matter of time!

I am a metro commuter. Meaning, I take a bus to the Metro station and then take the Metro to my office. (For those not in the DC area, we call the subway system the Metro.) This means that I encounter anywhere from 2-5 escalators (depending on which station I get on/off of). Every time that I encounter an escalator I flash to the possibility of slipping and falling DOWN the escalator. It has not yet happen, but I always THINK about the possibility! So, considering the fact that this area has seen a bit of wintry weather, the possibility increased quite a bit. And sure enough, today was the day that it happened. I was walking down the first of three escalators at the Ballston station when the slickness of the step combined with the slickness of my shoes and caused me to fall on my butt. My phone landed in front of me (it was in my bag), the bag landed beside me and the umbrella landed behind me. Thankfully, I did just fall backwards, rather than taking a header down the escalator, but I was still a bit sore and REALLY embarrassed!

So, is this a matter of self fulfilling prophecy or am I just a klutz? Any thoughts?

4 comments:

Hermione Bagnold said...

LOL I wouldn't necessarily say that means you're a klutz...that could have happened to anyone! But as to the self-fulfilling prophecy...it's a possibility! I'm glad you didn't fall all the way down and that you're okay!

YogaKnot said...

Haha I could totally see myself doing that. Your probably not a klutz its bound to happen one of the million times you take a route. I agree with Hermione though that I'm glad you weren't seriously injured.

Anonymous said...

Omigosh! I'm just glad you are okay! Escalators are sharp! Next time, focus on finding a $20 bill... that would be a cool fulfilling thought don't ya think?

AshAsh said...

You all are absolutely right... I'm glad that I wasn't more seriously hurt. It's because of that fact that I can kind of laugh at it! :)

And Bevin, I LOVE your idea of focusing on finding $20! I wish I had thought of that before. :)