Tuesday, June 03, 2008

New jobs... can't live with them, can't live without them.

I recently started a new job. This is my second job in the almost four years since I graduated from VA Tech. This makes me a rarity among my peers, as the average tenure at a job is only one year. I was at The Council for three years and would still be there if it weren't for one fact -- there was NO where for me to go. The Council is a relatively small association (staff wise) compared to others in the industry and there just wasn't anyplace for me to advance to. There was, of course, plenty to be learned from my bosses, but after three years, that just wasn't cutting it for me anymore. So, when I was offered my new position, I took the leap and made the change.

Two months later and I'm just now starting to get into a groove. My new job is for an association with a staff size even SMALLER than my old association. This means that I get my own office, but it also means that everyone is SUPER busy doing a million and one things and doesn't really have the time to show me the ropes. Don't get me wrong, everyone is really nice, but when you're a VP or Director and have to do your own administrative work, you don't have much time to show the new girl where the paper is. I also have a boss who wears MANY hats, so has only been able to train/give me things to do on a sporadic basis. All in all, my first month was not very productive.

However, I am now getting into the meat of my new position. I was tasked with finding a learning management system vendor. This was an experience as I had NO idea what that was. But I was trusted with finding four or five systems and summarizing the various aspects. I was then asked my opinion on them... something that I was rarely asked at The Council. The best part of this is the fact that this was MY project, something that I never had at The Council. I had been asking for something I could point to and say, "I did that," but it wasn't happening -- despite the promise that it would be considered.

And here we are, at the end of another meandering story. Check back next time to see what I go on (and ON) about next time!

No comments: