Thursday, June 12, 2008

The question of "To have or NOT to have" and being ok with it.

Ok, so I'm reading this book, Baby Proof, and it's really hitting home for me. It's about a woman who marries a man who agrees with her decision NOT to have kids. They are MADLY in love and it seems like they'll live happily ever after. But then, the husband decides he DOES want kids after all. However, the woman is still adamant about NOT wanting kids. They're at an impasse and since neither is willing to budge, they get divorced.

So, why is this really hitting home for me? I am neither married or with anyone who I potentially COULD marry, but I have made the choice to NOT have kids. Well, I am 95% sure that I DON'T want to have kids. But my point is this... she gets so much SH** from her friends and family because the marriage ended because SHE didn't want kids. SHE is a bad person because she made the decision not to have them. THAT is insane! There is nothing wrong with enjoying kids, but not wanting to have your own. Why do we ridicule those who don't want to have kids, as though there's something WRONG with them?! It just REALLY pisses me off.

When I tell people that I really don't think I want to have kids, they always say, "Oh, you're just young. Wait until you're in your 30's, then you'll change your mind." Ok, that MIGHT happen, but what if it DOESN'T?! Is there something WRONG with me then?! I do like kids, but I just don't want to have my own. So, here's my final point. People need to get passed this archane belief that our purpose in life is to populate the Earth. There is more to our lives than creating new life. I don't mean to say that having kids is a bad thing, I'm just saying that the choice NOT to have kids is not a bad one.

Anywho, thanks for letting me rant. Have a lovely day! :)

No comments: