Tuesday, October 06, 2009

All by myself...

Lately, my roommate has been working some REALLY late hours. Which means that I have the house to myself in the evening. I've been using it as an opportunity to see what it would be like to ACTUALLY live by myself. Would I be lonely? Could I keep up with the little bit of tidying around the house? Would I actually cook for myself or just order out all of the time? And so far, I'm kind of impressed.

To keep the loneliness at bay, I've kept the TV on -- whether I was watching it or not, it's nice to have the noise in the background. To keep busy, I've focused on my knitting more -- which is good since I have Christmas gifts to get out! I've also stopped by the library and gotten a couple of books. I'm a loner by nature, so as long as I have things to occupy my mind and time, I'm not too worried about being lonely.

As for the tidying, that one I'm still not so sure on. I'm a pile maker. I don't necessarily make everything spick and span and put it in its own place. Instead, I make piles. Now, I've tried to be more dilligent of taking my things to my room and making fewer piles, but they're still there. I'm not sure if I will be as dilligent if I have no one who is going to be looking at my mess on a regular basis. This especially becomes a problem if I end up in a studio. There just isn't enough space in a studio for excess clutter and mess. So, I'll continue on working that.

As for the cooking, I've been doing fairly well. I've been going online and finding a recipe for dinner, shopping for it on Monday night and then eating if for the rest of the week. I don't mind leftovers so this works for me. I might make a few more things once I have a fridge that I'm not sharing. It's amazing how limited you are when you don't have your own space.

So, all in all, I think I'm ready to live on my own. I'm not sure when that will be, but I feel ready for when the moment comes. What do you think? When did you realize you were ready? Anyone really not like living without a roommate? I'd love to know!

Talk to you later!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've never lived alone and don't think I could. My old roommates were often home but rarely talked to me and, even though it was like they weren't there, I still felt comforted knowing they were. When they'd go away for a weekend, I'd get crazy lonely though, again, I rarely saw them when they were home.

Pandora said...

I go crazy by myself. When I was a student living in the dorm I craved being alone, but now with a family I am never alone. When the hubby and kid are gone for extended periods of time I get very lonely. The TV does help with some of it though.

AshAsh said...

Thanks for sharing, ladies! I don't know... I go back and forth over this point. There are times when I'm home by myself that I don't say a word until I get back to work. I worry that if I don't go out and see people over the weekend that I won't say a word until Monday. Either that or I'll just start talking to myself or my dog all the time. Either way I think it's something I need to do at least for a small amount of time!